The Hangout regularly runs climbing competitions. Our aim is to make them accessible to as many people as possible, so we keep the entry prices as low as possible. In fact, most of our competitions have been completely FREE TO ENTER! All competitions have great prizes to win, and most have a party to celebrate at the end.
We encourage climbers of all levels and ages to get involved, so we always make sure that we have a wide range of problems/climbs ranging from very easy (to suit beginners) up to extremely hard (to give WA’s most seasoned and skilled climbers something to challenge them).
Our most popular competitions:
We have created and honed a new style of bouldering competition which has proven to be very successful and popular. Instead of running them over the course of one or two days (as is traditional for bouldering competitions), these comps are run over a few months. We put new climbs up every week and then competitors can come in and try them any time that suits them. The benefits of these competitions are:
- They allow you more time to work on each problem. Therefore it reduces the stress of trying to get onto a problem that everyone is also trying to work on.
- You can fit them into your work/life timetable when it best suits you.
- There is less pressure and less people watching you as you try each problem.
- It becomes a very friendly competition and people tend to help each other out with technique and beta tips, making it fun to be part of.
- Because it runs over many weeks it creates a wonderful vehicle for people to improve their skills and climbing ability. Every competition of this type that we have run has seen many people improve their bouldering skills SIGNIFICANTLY!
- It is a great way for new climbers to try their hand and competitions without being intimidated about how well they will perform.
Your First Climbing Competition?
We make the majority of our competitions suitable for climbers of all levels. If you are a bit unsure about entering our competitions just ask our friendly staff for advice. They can let you know what skill level the competition caters to and they can explain how they work. Most of our competitions are self scoring, and once again our staff can show you how to enter your scores into the score sheet on our “climber’s computer”. The majority of our competitions are suitable for climbers who have only just started climbing!
Previous Competition Results